Monday, October 19, 2009

Banana Bread

 I did not take pictures or do any sort of step by step story board for the recipes, but they are none the less darn good recipes . Simple enough I am sure you can figure it out without pictures! I have the faith!

 My first recipe was banana banana bread. I got the recipe from All Recipes. Love that site!!

 I have used this and several other banana bread recipes before but this one is my favorite, of course I change things a bit. If you want the original recipe, click the link above, if you want my version of this same recipe, keep reading!

 First off I always double this. I have 4 kids. All love banana bread. It also freezes well and pretty much ANYONE would be happy with getting a loaf for no special reason! :)

 Tip: when I have bananas fixing to go back I stick them, peel on and all that into the freezer. The day before I want to make banana bread I take all the bananas and put them in a large bowl in the fridge to thaw. When you need the bananas you just squeeze and banana slips right out of its peel!

INGREDIENTS (this is not doubled)

  • 1 cup flour, 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup applesauce INSTEAD  of butter!
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten (sometimes I use egg beaters to make it lower in fat, works fine)
  • 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas ( never measure I just add lots of banana!)
  • 1 Tsp vanilla
  • 1tsp cinnamon
  • walnuts or pecans can be added (1 cup)
       TOPPING (OPTIONAL)

        1/2 cup oats, 1tps cinnamon, 4 TBS packed brown sugar (mixed well)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together applesauce  and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas cinnamon and vanilla until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  3. If using topping, sprinkle on top of loaves now. You can also use muffin pans and make muffins!
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment