Saturday, October 3, 2009

Simple, Easy, Cheap

 No I am not talking about what type of date I am....

 I'm talking about dinner!

 Sometimes you just don't have the time to go all out and make something extravagant. Sometimes you just simply shouldn't have too. That is when stuff like hamburger helper and the like come in handy. I try to stay away from the super processed crap (I mean food) like that. Although I do have to admit to having several boxes in my pantry, its not that we DONT use it, I think its good in a pinch and its better for you than McDonalds or Pizza delivery (cheaper too) but tonight Hamburger Helper was the plan.

 Today were having Sausage and Sauerkraut... 2 of 4 kids hate it. But that is okay, they just don't eat the sauerkraut. This is super simple and cheap to make. In fact I had coupons for the Kielbasa a while back so I stocked up (It was also on sale) and just froze them for later use!

 If you have a big family as I do, you will need this much, you can always half the recipe if you have less to feed!

 2 packages Kielbasa sausage (I get the skin free turkey kind)
 1 bag fresh sauerkraut (or 2 cans)
 3 cans new potatoes, whole or sliced you pick!
 1 onion, chopped (optional today I used onion powder)
 pepper
 Garlic powder (1tsp or so, just sprinkle some in)
 1-2 TBS butter or margarine

 So that is it. You take your ingredients, plop them out into a pan, Normally I cut up the sausage but it was still frozen so today it will be whole links! Heat this on low on your stove an hour or so, OR for even more flavor put this into your crock pot around 12 and heat on low 4-6 hours until dinner (this way works best if your adding fresh onion)




 Once its hot and the flavors have melded its ready to serve. We normally have it with bread and butter, tonight there will be some cranberry sauce (canned too lol) along the side. MMMM MMM good. Simple, cheap and easy! What more does a lazy (I mean busy) mom want?!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment