Monday, October 19, 2009

 SOUP. The most wonderful fall time food. Its warm, its comforting, it can be good for you and it can be made in no time at all, or simmer all day long in a crock pot and be ready for you when you get home. Most soups are good reheated, frozen, and always go well with a grilled cheese!!!

 I was more than thrilled to come across the blog called 1000 soups she has a recipe (which I linked) that is called EGGROLL SOUP. Ok. First off. I LOVE eggrolls. So does my family. I normally get the stuck to make them and make like 200 at a time, freezing most. I do not fry my eggrolls I bake them, and I feel that the way I make them, they are pretty healthy. They beat the grocery stores frozen version ANY day. However they are time consuming (even if you do not make 200 at once) The rolling, that is the hard part.

 Well EGGROLL soup is all the goodness of an eggroll, but NO ROLLING! This is a recipe I will make again and again, and again and again! Hubby ate 2 bowls and did not even have any sesame chicken because it filled him up! I did however change the recipe some, to be like the eggrolls that I make at home.

 To make it the way its been posted again go HERE Yum. Look at that photo! I wish I had taken a picture of mine, but it looked nearly the same, just trust me! Here is how I made my very similar version. Again I am SO thankful for this idea!!!

 1TBS sesame oil
1 pound lean ground pork
4 garlic cloves - minced
1 small head cabbage - shredded (about 6 cups)
2 small carrots - shredded (about 1 cup)
1 small bunch green onions - sliced (about 1/2 cup)
5 cups chicken stock, 4 cups vegetable stock
1 TBS freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce - plus more for serving
10 egg roll wrappers cut into thin strips
 
 Oh this is so simple your going to think its not good. But it is. Trust me. Its like an eggroll, but soup. Seriously!

 Ground up your pork meat in the sesame oil with the garlic and the grated ginger. Once your meat is cooked through and the garlic and ginger are smelling super good, add your cabbage carrots onions veggie stock and soy sauce, thats right just stuff everything into the pot. I also added some salt and pepper to this.

 I cooked this for about 30 min then realized I never started the rice to go with dinner, and so it simmered another 30 before being served. The cabbage was not crunchy at all which I Loved!

 About 10 min. before I was ready to serve the soup, I cut up some eggroll wrappers, into thin strips. I put them in the oven at 400 degrees sprayed with some spray oil over them, and on the pan. 

 Dish your soup into bowls and top with your now crunchy eggroll strips!

 Add ANYTHING you would like in an eggroll. Chicken, shrimps, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, you can make this your own recipe VERY easily. No need to limit yourself. 

 My hubby stated this was good today (the day after) reheated, even better, he said, than the first time! MMM. All of my kids ate this, and said they liked it. I will make it again, did I say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment