Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What do you do when Life (or work) tosses you apples??

 Well you make APPLESAUCE of course!

 My boss bought about 300 pounds of apples to put on our salad bar, but did not think about how they, well turn BROWN when cut up and exposed to air... So needless to say there are like 290 pounds of apples still in our back cooler. She told me to take a few bags home.

 I sat there thinking I already HAVE apples at home, but I am NOT one to turn down food for free... I know I have a kick ass recipe for Apple Pie Muffins, but I will eat like 300 of them and get fat(ter) having made them. So I started trying to think of something fairly HEALTHY to make with them... and applesauce came to mind! So I went to my most favorite site for recipes http://www.recipezaar.com and found THIS RECIPE. Looks simple enough to make and I have ALL the ingredients on hand... Love that! So guess what I am about to do?

 Yep, make applesauce!

 Since I had SO many apples, I quadrupled the recipe as follows. This only made about a large jar, and a half worth, not more than my family of 6 will be able to polish off within a few days I am sure!

 16 apples, peeled and cored, cut into pieces
 2 cups water
 3/4 cup sugar (Should have been 1 cup but I lowered it, since I had sweet "gala" apples
 Cinnamon (just sprinkle some in there!)



 Thats it? YES THATS IT!!!!

 So you go and you peel and core your apples. This is probably the hardest part, and its not really hard!





After that cut the apples into chunks, about how you would cut potatoes to make mashed potatoes. Add the cut up and peeled apples to your 2 cups of water in a sauce pan, and cover on high heat, bring to a boil.


Boil about 20 min or until your apples are mushy and breaking up, and its starting to look like a chunky applesauce. If you want your applesauce to have less texture, then use a potato masher, or a blender at this point to puree. Add your sugar and cinnamon and continue to simmer until the sugar has dissolved.

 I let this cool on my stove top a while, and then I put it into a tuperwear bowl with a tight closing lid and put it into the fridge. I tried it warm, and it was very good. Better than store bought, and So much better for you!



So when life tosses you Apples. Make Applesauce. It's simple, healthy and TASTY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment