Friday, September 25, 2009

Appetizer Time!

 The Appetizer Heidi picked this week is prosciutto roasted figs. I must say going into this one, I am wondering what Hedi is thinking? I have never had, a fig, seen a fig, and I did not find FRESH figs anywhere!!! I settled for the dried variety which BTW is in near the raisins. Thanks for that info  Laurie!!!

 Next I sent my hubby out to do my dirty work, buying the ingredients. He came home with Pancetta NOT prosciutto, I thought OH wonderful, here I go again, screwing up yet ANOTHER recipe by NOT adding ingredients, losing them or getting the wrong thing...  So I googled, Google is my friend. I asked it weather it was okay and I got this It IS okay no harm were its exact words!!! So I am currently soaking my figs, and I will go on to try this recipe, with an open mind.




 The kids, however, minds are closed. They all asked me WHY I was making this. Why anyone would stuff cheese into something that tastes like a raisin, and then wrap it in bacon. They have said they MIGHT try it. I just pulled them out of the oven (the alarm is going off) so we'll see what we all think here soon.

 My six year old, who was just set up with a yahoo account by her sister, and I, had this way cute conversation:
My Baby Girl: wht als do you wut to tacka balt
Clorie NoneYA: I dont know
Clorie NoneYA: I love you.
Clorie NoneYA: Are you going to try one of the figs I am making?
My Baby Girl: i dot no olley if u tri owe fist
Clorie NoneYA: ok Ha ha

 So if you do not know what a fig is... Like me, this is what it looks like:










and stuffed with cheese, like the recipe says to do







 After you have slit each one, and wrapped it in the bacon(y) ham type stuff...  and then you pop the bad boys in the oven for about 15 min.







So the figs come out of the oven, Once they have cooled a bit you put them onto a serving platter, drizzle with honey, and sprinkle with pepper and then serve!


   So they looked pretty, they smelled nice. Taste. Hmmm. Well they tasted like a raisin wrapped in bacon, with blue cheese inside of it. Not my idea of  yummo. Not horrible. I will not make them again though, unless someone says Hey can you make me bacon wrapped cheese stuffed figs? Which I doubt anyone would ever ask me to do!

 Oh and since I have 6 "reviewers" in house:

 Destiny: She did not even try one she just texted on her phone. 13 year olds. Sheesh.
 Promise: She had one in her hand, licked her fingers, and decided she did not want to try it
 Hannah: She had to see me eat one first, I took (another) bite, and handed her the other half, she said EEEEEWE After a bitty taste and asked where the trash can was at.
 Bailey: He asked "Are those things good?" Licked one and said NO WAY.
 Tim: Tim liked them. He's a freak. Promise took one back to him and he popped it into his mouth and said MMM Pretty good. She took him more and apparently he ate them as well. Hmmph.


 So there you have it. Another recipe down. Although I did not care for it, I did learn some things. Blue cheese tastes different when melted, and I like it. And I like that bacon(y) ham stuff! I will buy more and use that again! So I am not upset that I made this. I also learned that I am pretty sure, figs, do not appeal to me. Not even in a "newton".

No comments:

Post a Comment