Saturday, September 19, 2009

Green Chilie Chicken Enchilada Casserole MMMMM

 This is a recipe I originally got from Saving Dinner which if you want a really awesome cook book, with low cost meals and a shopping list for each week MADE FOR YOU I suggest this cookbook. I cooked almost every recipe (in order) in the book. I would have to say I liked 85% of them and that I remake at least 50% of them pretty often! If you want a new cook book, that is the one you should get!

 So This one, the green Chile Chicken Casserole, I have made so many times, I do not need to look in the book anymore. I have changed it a bit, to make it "my own" and still add things from time to time just to change it up. Tonight, I had 2 extra kids in the house, and it was GONE. Normally I have left overs to enjoy for lunch 2 times at least! I was happy, but upset all at once about this. Might have had something to do with the fact that it was 8pm before we ate! Either way, they ate, and I only had ONE Pan to clean up! :)

So here is what you need:
Chicken breasts (I use four good sized ones)
Corn tortillas (12) I like to use the white corn, that is of course my preference use what you like flour would work too
 Green Chili enchilada sauce
 1 cup sour cream (I use light, and I mix it with water to make it easily spreadable)
 2 cups cheddar or Mexican cheese, shredded (I use 2% cheese to make this "lighter")
 Cumin, Garlic powder, and olive oil

 Things I think also go well:
 Black olives
 green onions, chopped
 Tomatoes, diced






Preheat your oven to 350, and then take your chicken breasts, and season them both sides with some cumin and garlic powder if you want salt and pepper too. Whatever you want really, if you want it spicy add chili powder whatever really. I use the cumin  and the garlic powder.

Cook your chicken in some olive oil, until it is done through (no longer pink inside) It will smell yummy and you may want to munch some right now. That's ok!

 Chop, your chicken or if you have patience you can wait for it to cool and then shred it with a fork. I have used my food processor a few times to just pretty much grind it up too. Today I did not want to wait for it to cool, so I put it on the cutting board and I chopped it into strips, or chunks. It looked like that, and anyway it does not matter how its cut, it all tastes just as good!











Once your chicken is ready, oil your 9x13 inch casserole pan. Lay 6 tortillas down on bottom, top with 1/2 your chicken, 1 cup of cheese, 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 the can of enchilada sauce. Just like a lasagna then start over with your second layer!


Once your 2 layers are complete, you can top with the other things you want, or you could layer them in. Or just leave it as is, its just great that way!!!  Cover it with foil and stick it into your oven! Bake about 45 min, until your cheese is melted and your sauce is all hot and bubbly and it looks DELISH!


Doesn't that look GREAT!?!

 You wish you had a sample right? Well good news! Its super easy to make and I KNOW you heard me say it takes ONE.PAN. What busy mom does not enjoy a meal in ONE PAN?? I know I do. Left overs of this (if you have any) are GOOD as well.



I served mine tonight with black olives, baby carrots, chips and sliced garden tomatoes... Speaking of garden tomatoes, I think they may be the last, this season I will get from my garden. I will miss you, juicy red, yummy, garden tomatoes, I look forward to having you grow in my garden again, next spring!!!











So back to the subject of dinner, Here is the finished product. I used a bit too much sauce this time, I bought a BIG can, when all I needed was a small (normal 10oz or whatever size) can. Either way, it tasted great, even if it looked a little messy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I made a variation of this recipe a month or so ago and it was a big hit at our house!

    ReplyDelete