Tuesday, September 1, 2009

MONKEY BREAD FOR MY MONKEYS!

So cans of biscuits were on sale, and I had a coupon. There for I did what any frugal mom would do… I stocked up! Now I am sitting here with a fridge full of dough wondering what to make. When MONKEY BREAD came to mind!!!
Luckily I had everything else on hand. I think most would and if you are missing something, chances are your neighbors have what your missing! What else are neighbors for?
Here is what you need:
Ingredients
So we gathered up all the needed ingredients, and then took our pan and sprayed it with oil, and preheated the oven to 350 degrees. The monkeys wanted to help mom with the bread, and that is what this recipe is good for! Have them wash their hands and help out! Its fun!
Pop open your dough, I had to use 2 cans as my cans were each 16oz. Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. I used scissors, it was easiest. Let the kids roll each dough piece into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Place your nuts in the oiled pan. I did not have walnuts or pecans, I had peanuts, and I wish I had left them out. One kid has braces, and one does not care for nuts, so next time, it will be without nuts.
So once the dough is covered in the sugar mixture you can add the dough balls into the pan. The monkeys enjoyed this, and almost got along while doing it!
 
MMMM sugary dough. The monkeys were getting excited! :)


Next you take your butter, brown sugar, and water. Heat it in a small saucepan until boiling. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes. It will thicken up almost like a caramel and should look something like this:
Obviously this mixture is HOT. So a grown up Monkey should do the pouring of this sauce.

Pour over your biscuits and then pop them into the oven!
  Yummy right?!


Bake at the 350 for 20-25 min.Once you remove it from the oven, let it cool. For a while. This will be hard, but trust me, even when the top is cooled, the bottom (which will BE the top) is NOT! OUCH!




It pulls apart easily for yummy munching. It was a GREAT before bed snack for the monkeys!

They enjoyed them :)


Now I do think my biscuits were larger than what the recipe called for, so I think I should have cooked mine longer. In fact I did. The monkeys ate the top half, but the middle pieces were still doughy so they went back into the oven and that was mommy and daddy monkeys snack before bed. Yum yum!
Oh and I used reduced fat biscuits. So it was “healthy” right? YEP!

No comments:

Post a Comment