Monday, September 28, 2009

Baked Potato... Pizza?

 I work at a pizza place, have now for nearly 7 years, and I have never heard of such a thing until recently. Somewhere in Little Rock there is a place that offers it. I heard it was good. Never really gave it much more thought than that. Frankly, after 7 years of looking at pizza, its usually the last thing I want to make, at home!

 Until yesterday when I was thumbing through a friends recipe book and in it was a recipe for this thing called baked potato pizza. I figured it was a sign, and I noticed that I had all ingredients on hand at home, so I thought okay. I will make it!

 Just in case you would like to make it too, here is the recipe. Well MY version of it. The one in the cookbook varied a bit, it asked for mozz cheese and parm, which I did not have, but CHEDDAR goes on a baked potato anyway right? I also used more bacon since its the meat. Tim does not like a meal if there is not meat in it. So I added in more bacon, it is turkey bacon anyway so no harm right???

 Baked Potato Pizza: 12 pieces

3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 pound pizza dough (store bought or home made will work)
3 TBS butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cheddar/jack cheese, shredded
1/2 package of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
green onions, chopped

 Sour cream (if desired)

 Directions

 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

 Boil potatoes until tender.

                                


  Meanwhile spread out dough,












                                                                                              melt butter in microwave with garlic in it.














Spread garlic mixture over pizza dough.











                                                                                Once potatoes have cooked and cooled off enough to touch, spread out over pizza dough in a single layer.










                                                                                 Salt and pepper to your taste and then top with cheese.

 
















 Place pizza in oven until crust is done to your likeness, about 22-28 min













. Once out top with bacon, and green onions and if desired sour cream!










This pizza was a HIT with 3 out of 4 kids. I liked it, as it did NOT taste like pizza, because frankly, I am tired of pizza. This tasted JUST like a loaded baked potato! It was fairly simple to make and if your not counting carbs, its not too bad for you either! I used a pre-made pizza crust from Pilsbury and it served the 6 of us with a couple of slices left over.

 I would save left over mashed potatoes to use for this recipe in the future. I think that would work just as well, if not better than the potato slices. I will make this again, because as I said 3/4 kids liked it and those are odds you just don't mess with!

 If you try it, please comment and let me know your thoughts :)

 We served ours tonight with a salad, that I brought home from my work places salad bar (talk about easy) I cannot think of anything better to serve it with!

No comments:

Post a Comment