Saturday, September 12, 2009

Dinner and a Side Dish

 I was going to make my appetizers next, but ended up leaving half the ingredients at the store apparently to make them!! I hate when that happens. I always vow to check my bags before leaving, but never do. Anyway this is not about the appetizer, this is about this weeks Main Course, and Side. I will blog about them together, since I made them together. Let me say it went over MUCH better than my dessert.

 The Main Dish and Side were

Roast Beef with Spicy Parsley Tomato Sauce 

Broiled Zucchini and Potatoes with Parmesan Crust 

 I started my potatoes boiling first off, I got the tiny baby new potatoes, and I also used about 2 times what the recipe called for because my family enjoys potatoes!

 

 Meanwhile I salted, and peppered my roast



I braised the meat while I seasoned my Roma (and garden) Tomatoes


I did not have the spice needed, so I compromised with spices that were similar, and just sprinkled. I do not measure often, which is why I do better at cooking, than baking. In baking measuring is pretty important!

After the meat is braised you add the seasoned tomatoes, and place your pan into the oven. Looks good already and smells FANTASTIC!

 So while that was in the oven, doing its thing. Back to the potatoes. While they cooled and drained I cut up my zucchini, and got the butter and herbs simmering in the iron skillet. I LOVE the smell of butter and garlic cooking. YUM!

 So you cut your potatoes in half, and your zucchini, and you add them to the pan of heated butter and herbs like so:

Yummy. You cook them like this until the bottoms get a nice almost crisp golden color to them. I doubled the butter amounts also, since I had doubled my potato amounts. Once I took this batch out and onto my foil lined pan, I added more! I am glad I did!

So once they are cooked, golden and brown my roast was ready to come OUT of the oven!!! Just in time for me to turn the oven to BROIL and put the potatoes in!









Top the potatoes with some shredded parm and broil away! While they were broiling, and my meat was resting, I made the sauce for the roast. It just so happens on my quest to the store, I had left more than just the pasta sauce, and cheese there, I also left my olive oil! A needed ingredient for the sauce. At this point there was no going to the store, so I had to use the 2TBS or so I had left, and the rest was canola oil instead. The kids said that the sauce looked like...Well I wont say what they said it looked like since this is a FOOD blog.





Okay. Finally. Dinner is READY! It all came together quite well! The potatoes were done, the meat had rested, the sauce was finished, even without the right ingredients.... And it looked BEAUTIFUL if I do say so myself!

 

Broiled Zucchini and Potatoes with Parm Crust

And the finished product that I ate, and enjoyed very much:

 
Everyone enjoyed the "steak" Bailey was the only one brave enough to try the sauce, out of the kids. He liked it, alot. He is into green foods, more so than any kid I have ever known. The sauce was not "spicy" in my opinion at all. Of course I think I went easy on the red pepper afraid the kids would not eat if it was. I got MORE than one compliment from the husband. So that means it must have been pretty good!
 I will CERTAINLY make this roast again, I will make the potatoes A LOT, I LOVED them and so did the kids. They were also quite simple to make. The whole meal was actually. It seemed very complex though when eating. Which is always nice. I like for it to seem like I worked harder than I actually did!
 Please take the time to check out how HEIDI, STEENA, and LAURIE liked the dishes!!!
 Edited to add:
 I realized today that my sauce, for the roast was made incorrectly! I was supposed to ADD those tomtoates I roasted TO THE SAUCE! No wonder it was such a BRIGHT green!!! I just had parsley and oil I think! :O) It was still good, but when I make it again, I will add the tomatoes to the sauce, and I will let everyone know what I thought! Oh boy! READ the recipes don't just assume. HAHA.


2 comments:

  1. Oooh, its very green without the tomatoes!

    I love meals that are easy but seem so elegant and complicated like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this recipe! I've never braised a meat before, but now I will often!

    ReplyDelete