Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pizza Pockets, the appetizer, in our case, LUNCH!

Pizza Pockets

This was the final of my four recipes to make. It is the appetizer but we ate them for lunch! Because of my mishaps at the grocery store, first with them being OUT of ingredients I needed, and then my forgetting a bag with ingredients I needed. The recipe was made in 2 parts.

  Day 1 I cooked the sausage, and added the spinach. I had to use spinach in place of arugula because there was NOT one place around me that was selling it, and I was looking for lettuce, NOT CHEESE :OP (inside joke towards Steena there) 

  I went ahead and cooked up the whole package of sausage, and froze half for a later use  

 

 I love this sausage, its made with turkey so its healthy for you. I really hoped that the kids, and I would enjoy this recipe, because they too love this sausage!

 

 Once the sausage is cooked up you add your spinach, or arugula if you can find it.

 

 
If your me, this is when you realize that you do not have parm. cheese, and you take this, and put it into the fridge to make when you can get your husband to go and get you some :OP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 So once your husband has gotten the sauce, and the olive oil, and the cheese you needed, you can make this FINALLY!
 Add your cheese, to the sausage mixture. Then roll out your pizza dough and cut into equal size rectangles. I did not do so well on the "equal size" part. I hoped it did not matter. It didn't.

 Oh and in the purple bowl? Egg wash. I do not believe the recipe states anything about needing an egg. Luckily hubby did not have to make another run, I had eggs on hand :)

So you take about a TBS of your sausage cheese mixture and put it onto each square, then you fold each square. I found that some went into triangles, and some went into squares, again I hopped it did not matter, and it didn't! They taste the same no matter what shape! I crimped the edges of mine down with a fork and found they stuck fine without any egg wash to close.

 

Then you take your egg wash and with a brush paint it over each "roll" Then sprinkle the rolls with the parm you did not use inside with the meat! Pop them in the oven at 400 for about 15-17 min. Serve them with some heated up marinara sauce and ENJOY!


  They were very very good. I enjoyed them. Tim enjoyed them. 2 out of 4 kids really liked them, the other 2 were just being overly picky I think.

 I like  that these seem to be easy to make however I want to. I could put veggies in there, ham and cheese, turkey, whatever! I will make them again, in many different ways and put them into the kids lunchboxes. I think its the perfect amount of food. The crust was my favorite part, although next time I will make my own, even if from a Jiffy Mix type thing. Its cheaper that way!!!

 

 

 

 

 
Super yum.
 Out of all the recipes Steena, Heidi, Laurie, and I did this week. I would have to say that my favorite would be the potatoes and zucchini. The one I will probably remake the most, is that, and probably the pizza rolls, although I will change the pizza rolls up quite a bit. The potatoes I will keep just the same I believe! 
 The recipe I disliked the most were the lemon bars. I will not make them again. Ever. This challenge has been fun, I enjoyed all but losing ingredients! I cannot wait to see what Heidi picks as her recipes next week!!!
 Be sure to check out their blogs to find out how the recipes looked, and tasted to them!!! And "stay tuned" for the next "food networkers Challenge" :)

 

4 comments:

  1. They look really good Clorie! Nice pics, as usual. And the recipe did mention the egg ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. another thing I missed. GO figure :OP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures look awesome - if I didn't make it already, I would have just with those!

    Oh - and my results are finally up at www.divawithabudget.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on all your recipes Clorie, even though you left he tomatoes out of the sauce. LOL And of course, I knew your pictures would be great.

    ReplyDelete