Friday, September 25, 2009

A Simple Classic

So who would believe, I have never, in my life made, from scratch, chocolate pudding!? Any pudding in general actually. I am not sure I have ever even EATEN pudding made from scratch. I always thought that is was something that was difficult to do.


 When I seen Heidi has this chosen as dessert, I was happy (because it was a "normal" food) and also a bit nervous it was going to be hard. I had it in my  mind, that it was going to be similar to making fudge, which for some reason I cannot do!


 Checking out the recipe it actually looked fairly simple. I got very excited to make it! Why it was the last one I made, I am not sure! This morning though I made an awesome Pot Roast, I figured while I was at it, I would do up some of this pudding so that it would be set, and ready for the kiddos to eat for dessert.



 So I assembled everything needed, which is NOT much!
  All that is needed is Milk, sugar, cocoa, egg  yolks, cornstarch and vanilla and oh yes, not pictured, salt. That is awesome! I bet most the time all of us have those things on hand. Who needs to buy a box to make this stuff???


 So you take 1.5 cups of your milk, your sugar, your cocoa and your salt and you  whisk while you heat it up, simmering.

























 Meanwhile you mix the other .5 cup of milk with the egg yolks, cornstarch, and vanilla. Once your hot mixture is mixed well, you S L O W L Y add it, to your cold mixture (the one with the eggs) while stirring. This has to be done SLOWLY so that you do not COOK your eggs. I remember this from "food network" I knew watching would come in handy!



 ((I used my leftover egg whites to make myself an omelet))












Once you have heated your mixture and it has thickened, you put it in bowls. The recipe says to put it into 6. I tried that, but my bowls were kind of big and it looked like nearly nothing was in them so I poured the pudding into 4. Hoping the kids would share, at least a bite with mommy.

Once this is done you put them in the fridge to set. Overnight is suggested, but mine sat from 9am-8pm and that worked for us!
 Once your ready to serve, you take your whipping cream, and well... You whip it! I added a bit of splenda, to my whipped cream, because it seemed well not sweet!
Top your whipped cream onto your pudding and ENJOY!


By the way I did get to have a taste, or two. The kids loved it. I loved it. Tim loved it. I swear I will not make the boxed kind again. This is JUST as easy, well almost. and its VERY very good.



 So this challenge was a bit harder on me. I had a hard time finding several ingredients near me. I did not like the figs AT.ALL. I am not sure what anyone was even thinking coming up with that idea. I did hear that Heidi, and Laurie enjoyed them. I am unsure of Steena's response yet. Be sure to check out their blogs to find out how they did. 

 Of all the recipes this time I have to say the dessert was my favorite one. 

The chicken was good, but I really REALLY loved the mushrooms in the dish the most there.


The onions, I think if I would have had the right kind I would have liked. I will make them again, maybe using just "normal" yellow onions.


The figs, well I have spoken my feelings about the figs already. I just do not like figs. 
So. 

 This challenge was fun, and I am super excited because this following week its MY TURN to pick the chef and the recipes!! I need to get going on picking them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment