Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lets start with Dessert!

 I know its a bit backwards, but dessert was the first of the four courses that I made, mainly because I had all the things on hand first to make them.

 So dessert this go around was Lemon Thyme Bars

 I must admit, I am not a big fan of Lemon in desserts, and I also am not a huge fan of herby type "savory" desserts. So I was not really looking forward to this recipe, but I did go into it with an open mind. I have tried other things and ended up enjoying them. Maybe this, would be one of those times.

 First I got my ingredients together
 
Turns out I only needed ONE lemon, I bought three. I will have lots of lemon water over the next week :)
So you take the thyme and you have to pull it off the stems. This was not much fun. In fact, I will go as far as to say it was a PITA! This is what you end up with, I must say I felt like a druggie fixing up my pot... Not like I would know WHAT that was like, but well I have seen movies :OP

 
Im telling you... If the cops came to the door, I might be questioned right about now!!! 
So once that is all pulled off the stems you chop it up, and then mix it with the flour and salt. Set that aside and start work on the wet ingredients.

 
You mix until this looks fluffy. And then you slowly add your flour mixture into the bowl and slowly stir. SLOWLY is key here, or flour will go all over the place. Dont ask me how I know.
Oh and a great tip for buttering the pan, just use the wrapper from your stick of butter! It has just enough on it to do the job, and then your getting your moneys worth!
So once your wet and dry mixtures are together, you put it into the pan, and flatten with wet hands. Until you get this                                        Then bake until it looks about like this:



While you wait for your bars to cool, you can prepare the glaze by mixing the sugar, and lemon juice together. 
 Once cooled glaze. I left mine over night and then cut them into bars.
 
 The verdict? I thought they were Ok. I could taste the thyme and I just did not care for that flavor in a dessert. Destiny tried it and spit it out, Hannah did the same, Promise tried a bite so small I am pretty sure she could not taste it, but she said they were gross. Bailey and Tim would not even try them, for fear I would yell at them for spitting in the trash can, like I yelled at the first 2.
 What did I do with them? I ended up throwing them away. Oh well I did give the rats each a serving, they ate them. They were very easy to make and I think, had I left the Thyme out, I would have liked them. Will I make them again? No. I will not. I am glad that I tried something new though. It is an easy recipe and if you like lemon, and you like thyme, chances are you would like these bars!
 I hope that Laurie, Heidi, and Steena, had fun making them and enjoyed the bars! Be sure to check out there opinions!

2 comments:

  1. You should have sent them to me! I did find them too thymey though, I would half it next tiem. I LOVE lemon desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying something new is fun. Atleast you got pictures of yours ... none for me. I didn't like them either - but then I'm not a huge lemon fan. But trying a new recipe is always fun!

    ReplyDelete